Senior BuyerApply now
Are you an experienced, buyer with strong commercial acumen?
Do you have experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic and agile environment?
Would you like to work for the UK’s largest specialist wine retailer?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
Majestic Wine are looking to recruit a senior buyer in order to drive their competitive advantage and sustainable profit growth by selecting key products to differentiate Majestic's range from its competitors. As a senior buyer you will play a significant role in driving the buying team's overall performance.
Who are we?
Majestic Wine PLC is the UK’s leading specialist wine retailer. The group is comprised of four operating companies which include Majestic Wine Warehouses, Naked Wine, Lay and Wheeler and Majestic Commercial.
Following the merger between Naked Wines and Majestic, Rowan Gormley (Founder of Naked Wines and Chief Executive of the enlarged group), has set the wheels in motion of transforming the business into a new kind of retailer – a retailer that is loved by customers, loved by suppliers and loved by shareholders.
We pride ourselves on our enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, who, working as part of a close-knit team deliver exceptional customer service in a vibrant and fast-paced retail environment.
The Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute 12 month and 3 years category strategies for specific product categories including: price, promotion, range, quality, brand/own label, supplier sourcing and marketing
- With reference to category and market data and category plans, input into the budgeting process for retail gross profit, setting category targets so as to achieve overall business growth plans
- Use data and reporting including weekly dashboards and ad-hoc reporting as required, to identify actions to maximise trading performance for specific categories in a timely manner - ensuring that specific categories are not ‘winning’ at the expense of overall trading performance
- Ensure that sales and profit outlooks for each category are accurate, enabling better and more timely trading decisions
- Work with Head of Buying and other Buyers to ensure that buying processes are developed to enable the execution of the company’s product plan, business plan and roadmap
- Take an agile test-and-learn approach to category management to enable experimentation and innovation in the range with a data-driven approach to measuring success
- Work with Range Planners to create compelling category price and range architectures for specific categories across all channels, delivering choice without redundancy and judiciously investing space and resource for growth, newness and innovation
- With reference to customer purchase criteria and supply dynamics for specific categories, source distinct and differentiated Own Brand product to create a compelling reason to make the visit to our store / site
- With reference to customer purchase criteria and supply dynamics for specific categories, create and execute a branded product strategy to complement our Own Brand offer.
- Use our product data, market intelligence and supplier relationships to identify nascent trends and create a plan to leverage and strengthen our position as a specialist/influencer by proactively broadcasting to customers and the wine trade.
- Communicate with store managers through various communication channels, so that they are excited and knowledgeable about our best wines and can pass this on to customers.
- Work with Range Planners and Supply Chain to effectively manage product availability; including project managing new products into the range, managing sell through against reserves and managing exit of SKUs from the range
- Support wider stakeholders to create and execute promotional plan which delivers incremental profit and growth for the business by: attracting new customers, , encouraging trial of new product, encouraging switching into a better margin alternative, encouraging trade up, encouraging bulk buying etc
- Sourcing Strategy & Supplier Management
- Work with Group Procurement Director and Naked Wines counterparts to share and explore strategic and opportunistic supply opportunities (eg suppliers with overcapacity, suppliers with overstocks, opportunities to leverage combined scale etc)
- With reference to supplier performance data and market supply dynamics for specific categories, create and execute appropriate sourcing strategies (eg parcels vs continuous SKUs, long term open book vs tenders and spot buys, consolidating volumes vs spreading risk etc) to achieve advantageous cost prices
- Negotiate effectively with our suppliers using data, to achieve fair and sustainable cost prices which allow us to deliver healthy profit growth and a strong customer proposition
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- 20% discount on wine
- Performance related bonus
- 10% Long-Term Incentive Plan
- Life assurance 3x your salary
- Private Medical Care
- Free lunch provided each day
- Free parking on site
- Contributory pension
- An unparalleled fun company culture that's focused on empowering and developing our employees.
Our Head Office is based in Watford, just 20 minutes from London Euston. From Watford Junction, we are a 15-minute walk to our Head Office. Taxi's are provided to the station.
No agencies please.