Head of Buying - Wine, Beers and Spirits
Head of Buying - Wine, Beers and SpiritsApply now
Are you a dynamic individual who wants to grow and develop in a company that's revolutionising retail?
Do you have strong product knowledge of Wine, Beers and/or Spirits
Do you have experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic and agile environment?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
We are currently looking to recruit a progressive, detail-oriented and experienced Head of Buying to join our dynamic forward-thinking team. As the Head of Buying you enjoy sourcing great wines from multiple suppliers and minimising the cost to bring those Wines to market and sell better. You will play a vital part in driving sales, profit and innovation through effective leadership
Who are we?
Majestic Wine is the UK’s leading specialist wine retailer. Majestic was founded in 1980 and, alongside its Commercial and French divisions, had a turnover of over £300m last financial year.
Alongside strong growth in multi-channel sales, Majestic believe there is still a key role a retailer that is loved by customers and loved by suppliers. We pride ourselves on our enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, who, working as part of a close-knit team deliver exceptional customer service in a vibrant and fast-paced retail environment. More information can be found at www.majesticcareers.co.uk
In August 2019 Majestic announced it will be continuing its story under new private ownership and was purchased by US investment firm - Fortress. The sale included the Majestic brand, stores, website, Commercial and French division.
Fortress are now backing the vision for the future of Majestic and they see a lot of headroom for growth. The investment group pointed to Majestic’s ‘strong cross channel journey, expert staff and widespread brand affection’ when deciding to buy the business from its PLC status.
Keen to take a look at what it's like to work at our Support Centre, click here.
We divide the disciplines in the Buying & Merchandising team into Buying Better (sourcing great wines and minimising the cost to bring those wines to market) and Selling Better (optimising our customer product and value proposition to make us as competitive as possible). This role is accountable for Buying Better; Creating the UK’s most compelling quality focussed Drinks ranges at the most attractive costs
- To lead the buying function with the aim of delivering the leading drinks range in the UK and maximising gross profit.
- Input into the Planning process creating a 3-year plan for Buying & Merchandising.
- Develop and execute a product innovation plan and roadmap.
- Develop market-leading ranges across the product portfolio for both Retail and Commercial businesses.
- Manage supplier relationships ensuring we are the preferred trading partner of our Strategic Suppliers
- Conduct regular range reviews to ensure that sales and margin performance meets business requirements.
- Ensure that buying decisions are customer-focused.
- Drive quality through a structured quality improvement programme
- Manage and control buying-related costs including travel, expenses, samples.
- Develop an effective programme of promotional activity across all relevant categories/channels that maximise footfall and reinforces Majestic’s brand credentials.
- Drive Buy for less / Sell for less programs
- Line Management of the Buying team.
- Ensure all buying is conducted according to Majestic’s ethical & behavioural standards
- Ensure all members of the Buying team are continuously developed through on the job coaching and where appropriate external interventions
More about the Team
The team consists of 4 buyers and 3 buying assistants with responsibility for the product range for UK Retail, Calais and Commercial (Selecting product, managing the supply base, negotiating cost price and in partnership with the Merchandising team setting range structure, agreeing on pricing, promotional campaigns etc).
The Head of Buying role also plays a key part in driving the direction for the team of 4 Merchandisers and should be able to act as the Buying & Merchandising Director’s right hand.
The Head of Buying role can draw on analytical support from our Merchandising team and Trading Finance team to provide data and insight.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Must be able to demonstrate the first-hand experience of driving proposition (ie product and value position) in either a retail/consumer goods business
- Strong product knowledge of Wine, Beers and/or Spirits
- Must be able to demonstrate the first-hand experience of project managing multi-stakeholder projects
- Must be confident in managing supplier relationships and negotiation
- Must demonstrate experience and competence in structured problem-solving
- Must have relevant category experience in Alcohol or alternative with similar dynamics
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- 20% discount on wine
- Performance-related bonus
- Life assurance 3x your salary
- Private Medical Care
- Free lunch provided each day
- Free parking on site
- Contributory pension
- An unparalleled fun company culture that's focused on empowering and developing our employees.
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Location: Our Head Office is based in Watford, just 20 minutes from London Euston. From Watford Junction, we are a 15-minute walk to our Head Office. Taxi's are provided to the station.
We’re fast paced, we’re entrepreneurial, we’re creative, we’re dynamic, we’re energetic and we’d love to hear from you!
No agencies please.