Health and Safety Manager
Health and Safety ManagerApply now
Are you a dynamic individual who wants to grow and develop in a company that's revolutionising retail?
Are you confident in your ability to work under pressure, and make complex issues simple?
Do you have experience in maintaining and implementing Health & Safety Policies?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
We are currently looking to recruit an experienced Health and Safety Manager to join our dynamic team. We are looking for someone who enjoys communicating at all levels of seniority within a large organisation and has a good understanding of Health & Safety legislation.
Who are we?
Majestic Wine is the UK’s leading specialist wine retailer. Majestic was founded in 1980 and, alongside its Commercial and French divisions, had a turnover of over £300m last financial year.
Alongside strong growth in multi-channel sales, Majestic believe there is still a key role a retailer that is loved by customers and loved by suppliers. We pride ourselves on our enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, who, working as part of a close-knit team deliver exceptional customer service in a vibrant and fast-paced retail environment. More information can be found at www.majesticcareers.co.uk
In August 2019 Majestic announced it will be continuing its story under new private ownership and was purchased by US investment firm - Fortress. The sale included the Majestic brand, stores, website, Commercial and French division.
Fortress are now backing the vision for the future of Majestic and they see a lot of headroom for growth. The investment group pointed to Majestic’s ‘strong cross channel journey, expert staff and widespread brand affection’ when deciding to buy the business from its PLC status.
Keen to take a look at what it's like to work at our Support Centre, click here.
The Health and Safety Manager is responsible for putting suitable systems in place for the management, monitoring and review of health and safety for Majestic Wine. This also includes the Kings Cross Warehouse and Hemel Hempstead DC.
- Monitor health and safety policy and arrangements and advise management of actions to maintain effectiveness.
- Provide health and safety advice and information to management and employees.
- Monitor health and safety performance and report improvement options
- Report incidents when required under RIDDOR
- Ensure emergency arrangements are in place and reviewed. Promote high standards of health, safety and occupational hygiene.
- Advise of hazards when considering the introduction of new equipment, materials, processes or changes to refits of locations.
- Monitor health and safety induction for new employees through the companies health and safety training program.
- Advise on health and safety training needs and suitable programs through training matrix
- Ensure that all Majestic wine premises carry out the necessary fire risk assessment reviews
- Carry out routine workplace inspections as required and safety meetings when necessary
- Implement the requirements of the policy and procedures and communicating through the companies intranet Investigate, monitor, record and implement necessary improvements of incidents
- Conduct Safety Awareness during the course of the year through newsletters and/or through online awareness sessions
- Advise the company Directors and Employees of changes to any legislation relevant to the business
- Review all risk assessments and Safe System of Work
- Create, implement and review Health and Safety Policy, procedures and other documents
- Create, implement and review Health and Safety Training
- Monitor EHS risk assessments and actions required
- Review DSE risk assessments and provide training
- Liaise with auditors and risk assessment insurers
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Educated to degree level, and/or qualified to NVQ5/NEBOSH Diploma level: you have significant Health and Safety experience, ideally gained in a logistics and/or retail environment
- Relevant experience in maintaining and implementing H&S Policies
- Flexible approach to work, while always managing your own priorities and workload
- Good understanding of Health & Safety legislation
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to influence senior and exec level stakeholders
- Confident in your ability to work under pressure, and make complex issues simple
- You’re also comfortable communicating at all levels of seniority within a large organisation
- You possess an in-depth understanding of EU & UK Health and Safety legislation
- You can quickly build credibility, using your influencing skills and strategies to build buy-in for change
- Demonstrable record of driving significant change through an operation
- Problem-solving – ability to proactively identify risks, and establish root causes of accidents
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- 20% discount on wine
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance 3x your salary up until the age of 75 years
- Private Medical Care
- Free lunch provided each day
- Free parking on site
- Contributory pension
- An unparalleled fun company culture that's focused on empowering and developing our employees.
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Location: Our Head Office is based in Watford, just 20 minutes from London Euston. From Watford Junction, we are a 15-minute walk to our Head Office. Taxi's are provided to the station.
We’re fast-paced, we’re entrepreneurial, we’re creative, we’re dynamic, we’re energetic and we’d love to hear from you!
No agencies please.