Buyer - 9 Months FTC
Buyer - 9 Months FTCApply now
We have an exciting opportunity for a Wine Buyer to join the UK’s largest specialist wine retailer on a 9 Month FTC!
You will be joining our award winning Retail Buying Team of 2020 but that is not all, you will also work closely with our Chief Commercial Officer who won the Man of the Year at the 2020 Drinks Business Awards
Do you like what you have read so far?
Do you have extensive experience as a Wine Buyer in the Retail or Wine & Spirits Industry?
Are you WSET Qualified?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
Our Buyers are responsible for delivering an industry leading range of products to both our store and online customers. Through their excellent knowledge of our customer requirements they build both product ranges and services that provide us with a clear differentiation from any competitors and grow our sales, market share and brand strength. You’ll make sure we have the right products at the right time, using your influencing and negotiating skills to build relationships across our business.
- Develop and document a product strategy for each of your responsible categories.
- Display an entrepreneurial approach to the selection of new products, and manage our exit from delisted products to ensure the range conforms to agreed parameters.
- Ensure that buying decisions are customer-focused, and product selection is undertaken with appropriate consideration for equivalent products in competitors.
- Responsible for cost price, contribution and all other negotiations with suppliers for your products.
- Ensure that any new suppliers conform to our expected standards and practices.
- Manage a programme of price promotional activity across responsible categories – ensuring it meets company policy/procedure.
- Manage gross margin to ensure promotions maximise cash profitability.
- Ensure sales and promotional forecasts are sound and accurate.
- All aspects of product communication – the better you sell your products internally, the better they will sell to customers.
- Take a full part in any team training and development activities that may be held.
- Ensure all buying is conducted according to Majestic’s ethical standards and in a professional way.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Commercially focused/strong negotiating skills
- The Ideal candidate will have 5+ years experience as Buyer working within an Alcohol or Retail industry.
- Experience Buying Wine
- WSET Qualified
- Able and willing to undertake international travel.
- Highly numerate and able to process complex commercial scenarios quickly.
- Able to influence and develop true ‘partnership’ relationships quickly and effectively.
- Confident presentation and communication skills.
- Empathetic and flexible in style- able to accommodate differing styles and attitudes and adjust approach
Who are we?
Majestic Wine is the UK’s leading specialist wine retailer. Majestic was founded in 1980 and, alongside its Commercial and French divisions, had a turnover of over £300m last financial year.
Alongside strong growth in multi-channel sales, Majestic believes there is still a key role a retailer that is loved by customers and loved by suppliers. We pride ourselves on our enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, who, working as part of a close-knit team deliver exceptional customer service in a vibrant and fast-paced retail environment. More information can be found at www.majesticcareers.co.uk
In August 2019 Majestic announced it will be continuing its story under new private ownership and was purchased by US investment firm - Fortress. The sale included the Majestic brand, stores, website, Commercial and French division.
Fortress are now backing the vision for the future of Majestic and they see a lot of headroom for growth. The investment group pointed to Majestic’s ‘strong cross channel journey, expert staff and widespread brand affection’ when deciding to buy the business from its PLC status.
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- 20% discount on wine
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance 3x your salary
- Free parking on site
- Contributory pension
- An unparalleled fun company culture that's focused on empowering and developing our employees.
- Contract Type: 9 Months FTC
- Location: Our Head Office is based in Watford, just 20 minutes from London Euston. From Watford Junction, we are a 15-minute walk to our Head Office. Taxi's are provided to the station.
We look forward to receiving your application! #ProudtobeMajestic
No Agencies Please - We thank you for your interest in working with Majestic Wine, however, we have a PSL who will be supporting us if needed. We will not pay fees or acknowledge any CV's supplied to Majestic Wine unless you have been briefed on the role by a member of our Talent Team.