SQL Database Administrator
SQL Database AdministratorApply now
Are you a dynamic individual who wants to grow and develop in a company that's revolutionising retail?
Do you have proven experience building and maintaining databases and data warehouses?
Do you have extensive experience developing datasets using SQL and some recent experience writing SQL in Google BigQuery or an equivalent cloud SQL warehouse?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
As a Database Administrator, you will be a key member of the IT team at Majestic Wine. As a hands-on technical lead, you’ll be responsible for maintaining and extending our database and data warehouse, bringing data and data management expertise to central business functions. The ultimate goal of this role is to provide stakeholders with a robust data warehouse to drive analytics-ready data and insights, thereby enabling them to answer key business questions and make more informed decisions.
- Maintenance and extension of our database and data warehouse, as well as troubleshooting any issues identified by end users.
- Ensuring data remains consistent across the database, and that data control and access is clearly defined and controlled .
- Enabling concurrent user access to data, in a form consistent with our governance model.
- Implementing a robust data security and recovery control (ensuring all data is retrievable in an emergency).
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users.
- Mapping the design and schema for database and data warehouse, with the aim of refine the logical and physical designs for optimal accessibility and performance.
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act (GDPR and HIPAA).
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Ability to understand and translate business needs into data and database specifications.
- Previous experience building and maintaining databases and data warehouses
- Extensive experience developing datasets using SQL and some recent experience writing SQL in Google BigQuery or an equivalent cloud SQL warehouse.
- Technical knowledge of IIS web server
- Technical knowledge of current Windows operating systems
- Advanced knowledge in building and developing data warehouse solutions and connecting excel workbooks to databases to model business information.
- Interests in data modelling and statistical analysis with Python or R.
- Expertise in data visualisation, including dashboard development and design principles using Tableau or other reporting tools.
Who are we?
Majestic Wine is the UK’s leading specialist wine retailer. Majestic was founded in 1980 and, alongside its Commercial and French divisions, had a turnover of over £300m last financial year.
Alongside strong growth in multi-channel sales, Majestic believes there is still a key role a retailer that is loved by customers and loved by suppliers. We pride ourselves on our enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, who, working as part of a close-knit team deliver exceptional customer service in a vibrant and fast-paced retail environment. More information can be found at www.majesticcareers.co.uk
In August 2019 Majestic announced it will be continuing its story under new private ownership and was purchased by US investment firm - Fortress. The sale included the Majestic brand, stores, website, Commercial and French division.
Fortress are now backing the vision for the future of Majestic and they see a lot of headroom for growth. The investment group pointed to Majestic’s ‘strong cross channel journey, expert staff and widespread brand affection’ when deciding to buy the business from its PLC status.
- A competitive salary based on your experience
- Staff Discount
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance 3x your salary
- Free parking on site
- Contributory pension
- An unparalleled fun company culture that's focused on empowering and developing our employees.
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Location: Our Head Office is based in Watford, just 20 minutes from London Euston. From Watford Junction, we are a 15-minute walk to our Head Office. Taxi's are provided to the station.
We look forward to receiving your application! #ProudtobeMajestic
No Agencies Please - We thank you for your interest in working with Majestic Wine, however, we have a PSL who will be supporting us if needed. We will not pay fees or acknowledge any CV's supplied to Majestic Wine unless you have been briefed on the role by a member of our Talent Team.